ECGA Community Health Challenge
The focus of this challenge will be to improve the overall health of the community through improving the health of the residents of the community. By doing so, we hope to create a social and physical environment that promotes good health for all, in alignment with the Healthy People 2020 initiative. Healthy People 2020 highlights the importance of addressing the social determinant of health. The Social Determinants of Health topic area within Healthy People 2020 is designed to identify ways to create social and physical environments that promote good health for all.
The East Cleveland Growth Association will initiate a community health challenge called Choose a New You and East Cleveland Wins Too. The challenge will last for 1 calendar year. The challenge will be centered around 5 key Social Determinants of Health (SDoH), and key issues that make up the underlying factors of the SDoH according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- Economic Stability
- Food Insecurity
- Housing Instability
- Early Childhood Education and Development
- Enrollment in Higher Education
- High School Graduation
- Language and Literacy
- Social and Community Context
- Civic Participation
- Social Cohesion
- Health and Health Care
- Access to Health Care
- Access to Primary Care
- Health Literacy
- Neighborhood and Built Environment
- Access to Foods that Support Healthy Eating Patterns
- Crime and Violence
- Environmental Conditions
- Quality of Housing
- The participant will select a SDoH category and then select a specific element of that category.
- The participant will agree to change a life element and set a target goal for the change.
- The participant’s progress will be monitored and tracked at predetermined intervals.
- The participant’s outcomes will be documented and aggregated with the results of the other participants.
ECGA will use this framework to establish the objectives of the challenge. Participants will select one or more of the SDoH areas and determine life changes that will improve the condition of the participant, the participant’s family, or the community at large. The Choose a New You and East Cleveland Wins Too community health challenge will bring the community together to;
- Explore current practices in these areas and how they affect the health of individuals, families, and the community.
- Establish common goals to address deficiencies and improve the practices in these areas.
- Maximize opportunities for community collaboration related to improving social determinants of health.
This challenge and the associated research will be aligned with The Coit Road Farmer’s Market & Green Triangle Project.